Are you a collagen fan yet? If not, then you need to get on board!
Collagen is a fibrous protein that functions as a building block for skin, tendons, joints, bones, and other connective tissues. It keeps our skin, bones, teeth and blood vessels healthy and happy. While collagen occurs naturally in our bodies, it decreases as we age, so collagen supplements can become increasingly beneficial.
There are three primary benefits of collagen that you should know about:
- It helps to reduce wrinkles - As we age, our skin loses elasticity, partially due to decreasing collagen production. Increasing the collagen in our system through supplements improves our skin’s elasticity and firmness, thus decreasing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. (And let’s be honest, that’s a win for all of us!)
- Reduced joint pain and stiffness - Collagen helps to keep our muscles and joints freely moving without pain or discomfort by keeping our cartilage and joints fibrous and elastic. According to a study by the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS), collagen supplements help our joints to both flex and extend properly, as well as allowing them to absorb shock more properly when doing daily activities such as walking, jogging, or, if the spirit moves you, skipping down the street.
- Better and Faster Wound Healing - Collagen supplements speed up the process of wound healing by stimulating tissue formation and wound contraction. Plus, the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) also recognizes that collagen supplements improve skin’s elasticity, which further increases the speed of wound healing. (Especially when paired with healthy lifestyle habits like eating a balanced diet, getting enough sleep, not smoking, and keeping skin well moisturized.)
To make these delicious No Bake Cookie Dough Bites at home:*
No Bake Cookie Dough Bites
- ½ cup organic almond flour or tigernut flour
- ½ cup collagen peptides (available in the studio!)
- ⅔ shredded coconut
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp chocolate or Carob chips or raisins
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift together almond flour or tigernut flour, collagen powder, shredded coconut, and sea salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together vanilla, maple syrup, and coconut oil, then pour it over the dry ingredients, mixing with a spatula until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Use your hands to form 12 equal-sized “cookie dough” balls, placing each one on a parchment lined plate.
- Place the plate in the freezer and allow to chill for at least 30 minutes, or until the coconut oil has solidified. Store the treats in the refrigerator and remove when you’re ready to eat.
And, as an added perk, we actually have collagen available for purchase in the studio, so there’s no need to even make an extra trip to the store! When you pop into the studio, let us know that you’re interested in learning more about collagen. We’re super fans of this wonder supplement, so we’re always willing to answer any questions you might have.