- 2018 (25)
- 2017 (65)
- 2016 (80)
- 2015 (2)
Holiday season is notoriously tough on the waistline. Deck the halls but don’t ditch your diet!
Indulging a little won't hurt, you can eat well and be well this holiday season. heres the trick... Enjoy holiday treats in smaller portions, make healthy substitutions where you can, and plan ahead as much as possible.
And following this post, stay close to the blog. We’re going to be sharing some super easy tips that will keep you healthy throughout the whole holiday season. (You know you want to start off 2018 on the right foot.)
So, let’s dive right in.
3 Healthy Holiday Drinks that You Need to Know
Are we the only ones that are obsessed with eggnog? That cannot be the case. (You know you love it.)
And so here we go, starting off with a healthified version of this tasty treat, full of all the festive holiday cheer you’ve come to expect. This recipe is dairy-free, low in calories, Paleo, and will keep in the fridge for up to three days. You’re welcome in advance.
Ingredients (Serves 3)
- 4 egg yolks
- ¼ cup raw honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 ½ cups almond milk
- In a medium bowl, combine egg yolks, honey, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Whisk until well mixed.
- Warm the coconut milk and almond milk in a large saucepan over medium heat for about 4 minutes.
- Temper the egg yolk mixture by slowly pouring 1 cup of the warmed milk mixture into the yolks while whisking constantly.
- Pour everything back into the saucepan and whisk to combine. Continue to cook for another 5 minutes, stirring gently, until slightly thickened. Don’t let this mixture boil, as it will cook the eggs.
- Remove from the heat and let the mixture cool to room temperature before chilling in the fridge.
- Serve cold with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top.
*Recipe originally from PaleoHacks.
Sparkling Cranberry Kombucha Mocktail*
We can admit that there’s something special about having a little bubbly over the holidays. But, when you’re trying to stick to a healthy lifestyle, swigging a bottle of champagne may not be the best option for you.
So we found a healthified version of a sparkly beverage that is just what the doctor ordered. Kid-friendly, alcohol-free, with just a little bit of tart taste, this drink is just as spirited as ever.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 inch slice of fresh ginger (thinly sliced), more for garnish optional
- 1 large sprig fresh rosemary, more for garnish optional
- ½ cup 100% cranberry juice
- 2 12-ounce bottles Kombucha (Original or Ginger)
- Fresh cranberries, raspberries, and/or slice of orange for garnish optional
- In a pitcher or quart-sized mason jar, muddle sliced ginger and rosemary together using the end of a wooden spoon.
- Add cranberry juice and Kombucha, and stir gently to combine.
- Pour into four double old-fashioned ice-filled glasses, using a strainer, if necessary.
- Optional: Garnish with sprigs of rosemary, a slice of fresh ginger, a few cranberries, raspberries, and/or a slice of orange before serving.
*Recipe originally from The Real Food Dietitians.
Paleo Peppermint Hot Cocoa*
While we love the protein in our recovery hot chocolate, we know that sometimes a creamy, rich beverage is preferred across the holidays. So we’re diving right in with this Paleo Peppermint Hot Chocolate.
Dairy-free, soy-free, refined sugar-free, but just as satisfying as the hot chocolate you loved when you were a kid. Perfect for those winter nights when you’re just getting off the slopes or watching a classic Hallmark movie by the fire.
Ingredients (Serves 3)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/3 cup water
- 2-3 tablespoon maple syrup (or your preferred natural sweetener)
- 1/4 cup cacao or cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Spoon the coconut milk (cream and all) into a small saucepan. Warm on medium-heat and whisk occasionally until the cream is melted.
- Add the water, maple syrup, cacao, and peppermint extract.
- Whisk well, heating until steaming, but not boiling.
- Optional: blend in a non-glass blender to completely remove any lumps. Enjoy!
*Recipe originally from Living Well Mom.